Paddle boarding is an increasingly popular activity in the UK, and it’s easy to see why. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing time on the water or an adrenaline-filled adventure, paddle boarding is the perfect way to explore the coastline near you. If you’re interested in getting started, you’ll need a paddle board set that meets your needs. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at the different types of paddle boards available, as well as the accessories you need for a complete paddle board set. With our help, you’ll be able to find the perfect paddle board set for your next paddle boarding adventure!
The Different Types of Paddle Boards
When it comes to choosing a paddle board, you’ll quickly realize that there are several different types available on the market. Each type has its own unique features and is designed to suit different skill levels and water conditions. In this section, we’ll take a closer look at some of the different types of paddle boards available in the UK.
1. All-around Paddle Boards: These are the most common type of paddle boards and are suitable for beginners. They are designed to be versatile and stable, making them great for flat water paddling, as well as small waves. All-around paddle boards usually have a wide and thick design, which helps with stability and balance.
2. Touring Paddle Boards: If you’re looking to go on longer expeditions or paddle on open water, then a touring paddle board is a great option. These boards are longer and narrower than all-around boards, which allows for faster and smoother paddling. They often have a pointed nose for better tracking and stability in choppy conditions.
3. Inflatable Paddle Boards: Inflatable paddle boards, also known as iSUPs, have gained popularity in recent years. These boards are made from durable and lightweight materials and can be easily inflated and deflated for storage and transportation. Inflatable paddle boards are a great option if you’re short on storage space or frequently travel with your paddle board.
4. Surf Paddle Boards: If you’re an experienced surfer or looking to take your paddle boarding to the next level, then a surf paddle board might be the right choice for you. These boards are shorter and narrower, allowing for quick and manoeuvrable turns in the waves. Surf paddle boards are designed for more advanced riders who are comfortable in challenging water conditions.
5. Yoga Paddle Boards: For those looking for a more relaxing and zen experience on the water, yoga paddle boards are the perfect option. These boards are wide and stable, providing a solid platform for yoga poses and exercises. Yoga paddle boards often come with additional features such as attachment points for yoga mats and paddle board accessories.
When choosing a paddle board, it’s important to consider your skill level, the type of water you’ll be paddling on, and your specific needs and preferences. Take the time to research different brands and models, read reviews, and test out different boards if possible. Remember to also consider additional accessories such as a paddle board pump and paddle board accessories to complete your set and enhance your paddle boarding experience. Whether you choose a red paddle board, a mistral paddle board, or a hurley paddle board, finding the right type of paddle board will ensure that you have a great time out on the water.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Paddle Board
When it comes to buying a paddle board, there are several factors you should consider to ensure you make the right choice. From your skill level to the type of water you’ll be paddling on, each aspect will impact the type of board that will best suit your needs.
First and foremost, it’s essential to consider your skill level. If you’re a beginner, an all-around paddle board is a great choice. These boards are designed to be stable and versatile, making them ideal for learning the basics. On the other hand, if you have some experience under your belt, you may want to opt for a surf paddle board for more challenging water conditions or a touring paddle board if you’re looking to embark on longer expeditions.
The type of water you’ll be paddling on is another crucial factor to consider. If you’ll mainly be on calm, flat waters, an all-around paddle board will serve you well. However, if you’re planning to paddle on open water or in choppy conditions, a touring paddle board with a pointed nose for better tracking and stability may be a better fit.
Storage and transportation are also important considerations. If you have limited storage space or frequently travel with your paddle board, an inflatable paddle board (iSUP) is an excellent option. These boards are lightweight, durable, and can be easily inflated and deflated for convenience.
Additionally, you’ll want to consider the specific features and accessories that come with each board. Some paddle boards come with built-in attachment points for yoga mats and other accessories, making them perfect for yoga enthusiasts. Others may have additional features such as a paddle board pump for quick and easy inflation.
Lastly, don’t forget to research different brands and read reviews to get a sense of the quality and reliability of each option. Some popular paddle board brands in the UK include Red Paddle Co, Mistral, and Hurley. Taking the time to research and test out different boards, if possible, will ensure you find the perfect paddle board set for your needs.
By considering your skill level, the type of water you’ll be paddling on, storage and transportation needs, and specific features and accessories, you’ll be well-equipped to choose the perfect paddle board set for your next adventure. Whether you opt for a Red paddle board, a Mistral paddle board, or a Hurley paddle board, you’ll be making waves and enjoying the thrilling experience of paddle boarding in no time.
Major Paddle Board Brands in the UK
When it comes to choosing the perfect paddle board set, it’s important to consider the reputation and quality of the brands available. In the UK, there are several popular paddle board brands that have established themselves as leaders in the industry. These brands offer a wide range of paddle board sets, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most popular paddle board brands in the UK that you should consider when making your purchase.
1. Red Paddle Co: Red Paddle Co is one of the most well-known and respected red paddle board brands in the UK. They are known for their high-quality inflatable paddle boards, also known as iSUPs. Red Paddle boards are constructed with durable and lightweight materials, making them easy to transport and store. They also offer a range of different models to suit various skill levels and water conditions. Whether you’re a beginner looking for a stable and versatile board or an experienced rider wanting to tackle challenging waves, Red Paddle Co has a paddle board for you.
2. Mistral: Mistral is another reputable paddle board brand that has been around for decades. They offer a variety of paddle boards, including inflatable and hard boards, suitable for all levels of experience. Mistral paddle boards are known for their durability and performance, making them a favourite among water sports enthusiasts. Whether you’re into flatwater cruising, SUP racing, or catching waves, Mistral has a board that will meet your needs.
3. Hurley: Hurley is a brand that specializes in surf paddle boards. They are known for their innovative designs and commitment to producing high-performance boards. Hurley paddle boards are favoured by experienced surfers who want a board that can handle even the most challenging water conditions. With their lightweight construction and manoeuvrability, Hurley paddle boards allow riders to take their skills to the next level.
These are just a few of the popular paddle board brands in the UK, but there are many other reputable brands to consider as well. Some honourable mentions include Fanatic, Jobe, and Starboard. It’s important to do your research, read reviews, and consider your specific needs and preferences before making a decision. Our recommended brands are the Red paddle boards and the Hurley paddle boards.
Hurley Paddle Board
Hurley’s Paddle board Models and Technology
Who are Hurley Paddle Boards
With roots in surfing and watersports, legendary American brand Hurley entered the stand up paddle boarding scene in 2013, rapidly making waves with their innovative board designs optimized for performance. Applying their pedigree shaping high-performance surfboards, Hurley paddleboards offer both advanced technology and quality focused on Britain’s rivers and coastal waters.
Hurley paddle boards feature light EPS foam cores wrapped in epoxy resin skins, yielding both rigid maneuverability and easy portability when deflated. The shapes and contours enhance speed, stability and control across paddling styles.
For all-around paddling, the 10’6″ Phantom strikes a perfect balance of glide speed and stability with its tri-fin configuration. The ApexTour incorporates a tougher wraparound rail for open water adventures along with removable side fins to customize steering. Hurley’s 12’6″ Explorer flies downwind thanks to its sharper bow and race rocker profile.
Younger or smaller paddlers thrive on the Advantage 10’6″ board, which inflates quickly and keeps them confidently afloat for family paddling. Hurley also offers more budget-friendly options that maintain their standards for newcomers.
With Hurley’s legacy in surf culture and focus on hydrodynamic board design, UK paddlers can experience trusted performance and innovation across inland and coastal stand up paddle boarding. Hurley brings authentic boards born from the waves to rivers and lakes across Britain.
Some of Hurley’s latest paddle board sets popular among UK paddlers include:
Its unique, eye-catching design coupled with the premium pro-laminate fusion construction, make it a level above anything else on the market. Sturdy enough for beginners and pacey enough for intermediates, this board ticks all the boxes.
- Inflates to 15-17 PSI
- Compact & lightweight – just 10kg
- Inflates in 10-15 minutes
- Dimensions: 10′ 6″ x 30″ x 6″
This paddle board set features a tougher reinforced rail edge and hull, three LockFast finboxes with removable, flexible fins to set your board up for any paddling conditions, kickpad for control and a forward cam mount and cargo stowage front and rear for long range SUP trips.
- 3 removable, flexible LockFast fins (1 x 7” Centre fin, 2 x 2.5” side fins)
- Inflates to 18-22 PSI
- D-rings on deckpad for attaching kayak seat
- Diamond cut eva deckpad for grip & comfort, with kickpad for additional control
Pro-laminate fusion construction technology offers unrivalled rigidity and extra weight capacity making this a sturdy board for beginners, intermediates & heavier paddleboarders up to 130kg. Two fixed and one removable, US standard fin with transparent fin box, provide stability and manoeuvrability. You can easily swap your fin for other US fin types to suit your needs.
- Inflates to 15-17 PSI
- Compact & lightweight – just 10kg
- Inflates in 10-15 minutes
- Dimensions: 10′ 6″ x 30″ x 6″
Nearly all Hurley paddleboards feature light EPS foam cores wrapped in epoxy resin, making their boards both rigid and portable. The shapes and designs optimize speed, stability and control for a wide range of paddling styles and water conditions.
Whilst being a front runner in the paddle board industry with a premium product you can also get a budget friendly range from Hurley maintaining the quality they are known for but making it more affordable for newcomers.
Red Paddle Co – Red Paddle Board
Red Paddle Co – Premium SUP Boards Designed for UK Waterways
Who are Red Paddle Boards
Originally formed in the vibrant stand up paddleboarding scene of Southern Spain, Red Paddle Co has rapidly grown into one of the most recognized and trusted paddleboard brands globally. They bring their pedigree crafting performance SUP boards for warm Mediterranean paddling to create a versatile product range ready for England’s rivers, canals, and coastlines.
Red Paddle Co’s boards utilize cutting-edge MSL fusion technology that laminates a strong EPS foam core between layers of high-density plastic. The result is an incredibly rigid yet lightweight and durable board. Combined with sleek, hydrodynamic hull shapes optimized for stability, speed, and control, Red’s inflatable boards deliver responsive performance across paddling disciplines.
While offering specialty race and touring boards, Red Paddle Co excels at versatile all-around designs like the Sport 11’3’’ that suit most recreational paddlers. Its widened tail increases stability for beginners, yet the streamlined template still provides speed for more advanced paddling. Options like a crocodile textured deck pad, removable fins, and action mounts make customization easy.
For smaller paddlers, the Activ 10’6’’ is an ideal starter board with its stability enhancing profile and impact-resistant double wall construction. At the other end, the Explorer 12’6’’ is primed for distance paddling thanks to its fast glide hull and nose lift handle.
No matter if you prefer calm inland waterways or small coastal surf, Red Paddle Co likely has a premium board offering the right blend of speed, stability, and features tailored for UK conditions. Their extensive range ensures both seasoned paddleboarders and new converts can experience their innovative, quality boards built to last season after season.
Some of Red Paddle Co’s latest inflatable paddleboards winning over UK paddlers include:
The Sport strikes an optimal balance between stability, speed, and maneuverability. Its durable construction withstands bumps and drags while the widened tail increases control. Multiple fins configurations available.
- Length: 11’3″
- Width: 30″
- Thickness: 4.7″
- Volume: 258L
- Weight: 9.1kg
Built for touring longer distances, the Voyager range suits taller / heavier riders looking for next level touring comfort. Designed for bigger paddlers who are keen to explore, the 12’6″ Voyager inflatable paddleboard blends performance with practicality.
- Length: 12’6”
- Width: 32”
- Thickness: 4.7”
- Volume: 361L
- Weight: 11.3kg
Perfect for younger paddlers, the Ride 10’6″ provides a stable ride thanks to the widened tail and profile. The 10’6″ Ride inflatable paddleboard is Red Paddle CO’s best-selling all-round SUP. This multi-award-winning shape offers a perfect blend of stability, manoeuvrability and ease-of-paddling for riders up to 95kg.
- Length: 10’6”
- Width: 32”
- Thickness: 5.9”
- Volume: 245L
- Weight: 11.1kg
Red Paddle board utilize strong MSL technology composites and fusion construction for a rigid yet lightweight ride. Their hull shapes enhance paddling performance across disciplines like touring, racing, and yoga. Red Paddle Co brings premium quality boards with innovative touches perfect for UK waterways.
Maintaining Your Paddle Board: Tips and Tricks
Maintaining your paddle board is essential for keeping it in good condition and ensuring it lasts for many seasons of paddle boarding adventures. Regular maintenance will not only extend the life of your board but also enhance its performance on the water. Here are some tips and tricks for maintaining your paddle board:
1. Rinse after each use: After each paddle boarding session, make sure to rinse your board with fresh water. This will help remove any saltwater, sand, or debris that may have accumulated during your time on the water. Pay extra attention to the fins and any deck attachments, as these areas are prone to build-up.
2. Dry thoroughly: Once you’ve rinsed your board, allow it to dry thoroughly before storing it. Avoid leaving it in direct sunlight, as this can cause damage to the board. Instead, find a shaded area or use a board bag to protect it from the sun while it dries.
3. Inspect for damage: Regularly inspect your paddle board for any signs of damage, such as cracks, dings, or delamination. These can weaken the board’s structure and affect its performance. If you notice any damage, it’s best to have it repaired as soon as possible to prevent further issues.
4. Repair any damage promptly: If you do find any damage, don’t delay in getting it repaired. Small cracks or dings can often be easily fixed with a repair kit designed for paddle boards. Follow the instructions carefully and ensure the repair is done properly to maintain the board’s integrity.
5. Store properly: When not in use, store your paddle board in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in areas with extreme temperature fluctuations or excessive humidity, as these conditions can damage the board over time. If you’re storing it for an extended period, consider using a board bag or protective cover to prevent dust and debris from settling on the surface.
6. Check and tighten screws and fittings: Regularly check and tighten any screws or fittings on your paddle board, such as the fin screws or deck attachments. These can become loose over time, which can affect the stability and performance of your board. A quick inspection and tightening before each paddle boarding session will ensure everything is secure.
7. Use a paddle board leash: Using a paddle board leash not only ensures the safety of yourself and others but also protects your board from drifting away or getting damaged. Make sure to attach the leash securely to your ankle or leg and regularly check it for any signs of wear or damage.
By following these maintenance tips and tricks, you can ensure that your paddle board remains in great condition and provides you with many enjoyable paddle boarding experiences.
Must-Have Accessories for Your Paddle Board set
Accessorizing your paddle board can enhance your experience on the water and make your paddle boarding adventures even more enjoyable. While a paddle board and paddle are the essentials, there are a few must-have accessories that will take your paddle board set to the next level. You will find most Paddle board sets will include everything you need.
1. Paddle Board Leash: A paddle board leash is an essential safety accessory that should never be overlooked. It keeps you connected to your board, preventing it from drifting away if you fall off or encounter rough waters. A leash ensures that you and your board stay together, making it easier to retrieve and ensuring the safety of yourself and others. Get the best paddle board leash deals here
2. PFD (Personal Flotation Device): Safety should always be a top priority when paddle boarding, and wearing a personal flotation device (PFD) is crucial, especially for beginners or when venturing into unfamiliar waters. Choose a PFD that is comfortable, lightweight, and designed specifically for water sports activities. Look for options with adjustable straps for a secure fit and adequate buoyancy to keep you safe in case of an accident. You can view PFD’s here
3. Paddle: While most paddle boards come with a paddle, investing in a high-quality paddle can greatly improve your paddling experience. Look for a paddle that is lightweight, adjustable, and made from durable materials such as carbon fiber or fiberglass. Adjustable paddles allow you to customize the length based on your height and paddling style, while lightweight materials make for effortless and efficient strokes. Browse the best paddle board paddles.
4. Paddle Board Bag: A paddle board bag is a great investment for protecting your board during transportation and storage. Look for a bag that is padded, water-resistant, and the right size for your board. Some bags even come with additional compartments for storing accessories such as fins, leashes, and repair kits. A bag not only protects your board from scratches and dings but also makes it easier to carry and transport to and from your favourite paddle boarding spots. Buy paddle board bags here.
5. Waterproof Phone Case: If you enjoy capturing your paddle boarding adventures or using your phone for navigation, a waterproof phone case is a must-have accessory. It will keep your phone safe from water damage, allowing you to take stunning photos and videos without worrying about accidental splashes or drops. Look for a case that is compatible with your phone model and offers a secure seal to keep water out. Buy cheap waterproof phone case.
6. Dry Bag: A dry bag is essential for keeping your personal belongings, such as keys, wallet, and snacks, safe and dry while out on the water. Look for a waterproof and floatable dry bag that can easily be attached to your board with bungee cords or D-rings. Choose a size that suits your needs and opt for bags with additional compartments for easy organization. View latest Dry bags
Best Places to Use Your Paddle Board set in the UK
Ready to explore the stunning coastlines of the UK with your new paddle board set? With so many picturesque spots to choose from, it’s hard to narrow down the best places to use your paddle board. But fear not! We’ve compiled a list of some of the most breath taking and paddle board-friendly locations in the UK, so you can make the most of your paddle boarding adventures.
- Cornwall: Known for its turquoise waters and sandy beaches, Cornwall is a paradise for paddle boarders. Head to places like St Ives Bay, Falmouth, or Porthcawl for calm and crystal-clear waters perfect for all skill levels. Explore hidden coves, paddle around picturesque cliffs, and keep an eye out for seals, dolphins, and even basking sharks.
- The Lake District: If you prefer serene lakes and dramatic landscapes, the Lake District is the place to be. Windermere, Coniston Water, and Ullswater offer calm waters surrounded by rolling hills and stunning scenery. Paddle across the glassy lakes, take in the peaceful atmosphere, and marvel at the reflections of the surrounding mountains.
- Scottish Highlands: For a truly wild and rugged paddle boarding experience, head to the Scottish Highlands. Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, and the Isle of Skye offer breath taking landscapes, ancient castles, and pristine waters. Explore the hidden bays, paddle through dramatic fjords, and immerse yourself in the untamed beauty of the Highlands.
- Norfolk Broads: Looking for a tranquil and picturesque paddle boarding destination? Look no further than the Norfolk Broads. With over 125 miles of lock-free waterways, this area is a paradise for nature lovers. Glide through the reed-filled marshes, spot rare bird species, and navigate through charming villages and historic windmills.
- Pembrokeshire: With its rugged coastline, hidden caves, and turquoise waters, Pembrokeshire is a paddler’s dream come true. Explore the famous Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, paddle around Skomer Island to spot puffins and seals, or brave the famous waves at Freshwater West Beach for an adrenaline-fueled experience.
Remember to always check local regulations, tides, and weather conditions before heading out on your paddle boarding adventure. Safety should be your top priority, so be sure to wear a PFD, use a leash, and paddle within your abilities. The truth is any body of water your allowed to enter you can paddle board so make sure to hit those lakes, canals and seas and enjoy your paddle board sets.
Budget Paddle Board Sets
FunWater Inflatable Stand UP Paddle Board
Triclicks Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
SUPremacy Rapid Stand Up Paddle Board